How to monitor your web application with a reporting API?
API is the defect standard in building up the modern web application. Web development company use API to monitor web applications as it is an integral part of the workflow. API needs to be reliable for a better performance that will have a great impact on your business.
The reliability depends on the proactive use monitoring from API. Here in this blog, you will get a guide on how to monitor web applications with a reporting API. Let’s take a look.
API is an Application Programming Interface that you need to monitor the web application. Website development company in Kolkata gets benefit from API. The first thing is to choose the best API for monitoring the web application.
API is important as they make things easier. The functionality and capability of the tool makes it easier to monitor.
Different types of API are as follows:
- User-facing API: This is integrated for a better automation workflow.
- Third Party API: This API depends upon the system you are using. It is used by both the frontend and backend of the web application.
- Web Page URL: Basically, this is not a category but all kinds of API monitoring tools are used for monitoring the website’s URL.
- Internal API: It is used by the website’s front end.
Examples of some API that we use in our daily life.
- Facebook, Twitter are all social media API that keeps track of your interaction with the third party platform.
- PayPal use a API to handle transactions and payments.
- Login and registration on some websites is also done through API.
It is a common box solution for some functions like payment, user tracking and chatbot. But, there are disadvantages like when you are someone else’s code, then infrastructure will take over the control.
API monitoring is a way of ensuring that all the third parties are working and delivering quality services.
Why to choose Monitor API?
Some applications depend upon API to carry out business transactions for a smooth transition. If you don’t know what your API is or how they are behaving, then it leads to a certain issue. It affects not only the performance of the website but also affects user experience.
Proactive monitoring helps to know when your API is down. It gives the right information for you to fix the issues quickly. In a web development company, API is a part of the CD/CI pipeline to catch issues.
Impact of API Monitoring
API monitoring verifies the performance of the application. We compare the performance before and after the chances with the help of previous data.
SLO or Service Level Objective is essential. API monitoring makes sure that you keep a track of Service Level Objective (SLO) too.
If an application depends on a third party’s API, then you can also monitor those API.
How does an API monitoring work?
API works periodically with multiple location and the API Monitoring has the following steps:
- The first step is to configure the different parameters for API monitoring like URL , request details, expected value, HTTPS method and location.
- The API is invoked periodically from a specified location with all the parameters.
- Checking the actual values at the time configuration.
- Next, is to generate reports on response time and availability for proper analysis.
API Metrics can track any dashboard that includes checkup, correction and performance. API gives insight on how an application is performing.
Request Per Minute or RPM is used by web development company for measuring the number of requests an API will handle per minute.
Latency is the time taken from data to go from a source to the final or main destination. It is better for a website when the latency is close to zero. If it is more than zero then it may affect user experience.
If an API fails it is important to check its failure rates. If the external API fails then you have to switch to other service provider.
API manufacturing tool ensures peak performance. They help in catching errors and to resolve it before it reaches out to the users. This is the reason why web development company mostly depend on API.
Depending upon your requirements you have to choose the right solution for your application. The right solution ensures better performance in the future. API monitoring tools can extract and verify data from the response. It gives you the ability to select the location where most of the users are from.
From this blog, it can be said that an API is used by web development company for monitoring the performance of the website. The conclusion is that whenever you are planning to launch a new application, building and monitoring API is very important.